What is the role of school council?
All government schools in Victoria have a school council, which is a legal entity in its own right. School councils operate under the framework of the Education and Training Reform Act 2006 and The Education Regulations 2007.
• Establish the broad direction and vision of the school within the school's community
• Develop and monitor the school strategic plan
• Develop, review and update school policies
• Develop, review and monitor the Student Code of Conduct and the School Dress Code
• Raise funds for school related purposes
• Approve the annual budget and monitor expenditure
• Help to maintain the school’s grounds and facilities
• Enter into contracts (e.g. cleaning, construction work)
• Report annually to the school community and to DEECD
• Stimulate interest in the school generally
The sub-committees for 2015 are:-
- Building & Grounds
- Education & Policy
There will also be an OSH Liaison and a PTA Liaison.
The Sub-committees should:
- have a nominated convenor who shall be a member of school council;
- have a quorum of three members;
- have written terms of reference that support the School’s Strategic Plan and attend to the School Council’s critical success factors of a clearly agreed and understood raison d’être, Academic Excellence, Community Involvement, Physical Environment and Population;
- where a subcommittee is created for the first time, the initial membership will be asked to develop draft terms of reference for submission to and approval by School Council. Council may vary those terms of reference to meet particular needs;
- have the power to co-opt membership from outside the school community;
- meet as appropriate (but usually within 14 days of the next School Council meeting) and provide a report of activities to each council meeting;
- provide a written report on its activities and any recommendations for each School Council meeting.
If you would like to know more about the process of school council please download the following documents.
2017 Council Members
Julie Coleman - School Council President - Parent Rep
Cameron Ryan - Treasurer - Parent Rep
Dawn Nicholson - Education & Policy Convenor - Parent Rep
Claire Tanner - Parent Rep
Janine Arantes - Parent Rep
Daman Shrivastav - Parent Rep
Kath Phelan - Parent Rep
Yeing Ling - Parent Rep
James Penson - Building & Grounds Convenor - Principal
Robin Grace - Assistant Principal
Andrew Wood - DEECD Rep
Laura Ellenby - DEECD Rep
Lee-Ann Butchart - DEECD Rep
Faye Pattie - Business Manager - Community Member